Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Another Day On A Mission To Get By

Well, Monday was somewhat uneventful as far as bad things go.   Nobody got out.   Nobody got hurt or was bleeding.   It looks like we all made it through another day.   I felt like laying on the couch all day feeling sorry for myself but I didn't.   I went and got a round bale for Huck's pasture and dumped it.   I'm getting really good at doing that myself now.   Had to dump another mouse out of the mousetrap.   I hate that.  That's one job a guy should always do.   It's plain disgusting.   I was just throwing out the mouse, trap and all, but I was going through too many traps.    I live in the country -- there's a lot of mice in this house.   So I have again, sucked it up .... and I get my fingers really close to the mouse, close my eyes, pull on the wire thingy, and drop him out of the trap into the garbage.   Eeewww.   So far ..... the absolute WORST job I've had to take over with Russ being gone.

Even though it was really hot out, I felt I needed a purpose for the day.   I need to keep going I can't just shut down, the animals here are counting on me to take care of them .... so I decided to mow down the tall weeds in the donkey pasture.   Since I was already outside, I played with Gato for a little while and cleaned his stall.  That made me feel better so I went and got gas, went to the post office and mailed off our Tama Fair fliers and dropped a deposit off at the bank.    So I guess I got a few things done.

I've never lived by myself before.   It's weird knowing that nobody is coming home for supper.    Nobody to clean the house for.   Always used to have something I had to 'hurry up and do' before everyone got home.    It feels like I'm just walking around here in a daze .....waiting for something.   ....but I don't know what.   I sometimes feel like I'm slipping down a big black hole and everyday I keep trying to stay at the top so I can see out but it seems to be getting harder and harder.    People keep telling me it will get easier as time passes.   Maybe that's what I'm waiting for. 
 
I did get a response to my ad for boarders.   She sounds like a really nice girl.   I decided that I am sitting here with a perfectly good barn that only has one horse in it right now.   Why not board?    I can meet some new people ...... have somebody that would come out and can play with the horses with me ..... and I can make a few dollars in the process.   So she's coming to look at the place on Friday.   That was a glimmer of a somewhat brighter future on the horizon ......

...and then something really great happened.   I got a call from a man named Jim Kellner.   He's from Rutland.   He runs a carriage driving business over by Humboldt.   His company is called "Dream Carriage".    He started it up a few years ago and now is overwhelmed with business and does it full time.   I had heard he does a lot of weddings so I sent my flier over to him through my farrier to see if he might refer me to the clients he can't take.   Kenlee (my farrier) trims Jim's horses, too.     He seems like a really high energy guy and he has lots of ideas.   He said he'd be willing to help me break into this whole thing.   He said he's got so many people calling him right now that he can't do it all.    I talked to him three times on the phone yesterday.   He has already called the Humboldt Chamber and is working on getting Gato and I into their Humboldt County Fair the end of July to do something there.   So amidst all the emptiness I am feeling inside there was a bit of hope.  Maybe I can make this dancing horse thing work?   Maybe?   I just know I can't give up yet.

Yup .... everyone out here survived another day.   We all made it through Monday.   It wasn't too awful.  There were ups and downs throughout the day.    It's now Tuesday ...... it looks to be a loooooong day here by myself.   Nowhere to go today.   .....but I have a mission .....I will get through this day.    Everything will be ok.   Who knows .... maybe what I've been waiting for will happen today.   :o) 

2 comments:

  1. Yes there's hope! That sounds very promising! Oh - and the mouse thing - get a pair of rubber gloves! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chat up Lyla as well as she runs her own carriage company and has been driving in Chicago for 30 years.

    My friend Katie boards at a barn of middle aged women that call it "Estrogen Acres" get yourself a crew of old birds and it will be pot lucks every week!

    ReplyDelete